Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chapter 1 Review


Reading Chapter One of Reading to Learn in the Content Areas helped me understand content reading instruction and its importance, as it is inextricably bound to how we all make sense of the world around us. The chapter explains the twelve principles for content reading instruction and I found most of them to generally resonate with my own ideas of the value reading instruction has had in my life as a student. The principles also seemed to align with the PAR Framework, which was also introduced in this chapter. For example, the first principle explains that a reader's learning is directly influenced by their personal experience and knowledge of the content. This aligns with PAR's first stage "Preparation" in which the teacher must determine the students' background knowledge and build background knowledge where needed. This is the anticipation stage and is imperative for effective teaching.

The book gave four examples of how the PAR Framework can be used in different subject areas, as well as grade levels. I liked the examples and strategies the book offered except for the example given for a high school biology class. I thought the lesson was repetitious and somewhat on the dull side, and was unsure if it would have been a successful lesson to me if I were in that classroom as a student.

I enjoyed the section "Now Meet Four Students." It described four students from varying backgrounds who, for one reason or another, face challenges in school that must be overcome to become an effective reader. I found the section inspiring as a pre-service instructor.  

Chapter One also summarized the ways education in America has been evaluated; its research beginning in the 1950's with Sputnik. The point of this research was to answer the question: Has instruction improved? The public and various groups have disagreed on the findings over the years. I found it interesting that the book does not seem to take a stand on the issue, but rather it put forth views from both sides of the argument. What it does wish to make clear is that there is a great need to improve instruction in schools today. The chapter illustrates that understanding the importance of the twelve principles for content reading instruction, prescribing to the characteristics of an effective teacher, using the PAR Framework for lesson creation and thoroughly understanding the diversity of a student body will improve instruction in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment